Polishing a lookup field. You have probably added countless lookup fields to forms but, do you then polish them to look good?
There are a number of things you can do to improve the user experience. Lets have a look at the following scenario on a contact record
What do we know about the lookups?
- Sector is also on the Account
- Department / Area has no constraints when being populated
- Department / Role links with the Department / Area record
What can we do?
- Open the form editor in classic view
- Double click on the sector field
- Amend the field properties as shown below
- Save and Publish to push the changes through
So the changes we just made means that is there is a sector in the account, this will be the default available for selection.
QUICK TIP: to turn off the filter the quickest way is to put an * in the lookup field
Use the concept above, disable the most recently used and apply that to the Department / Role field, we are linking this to Department / Area
This will now look like…
So here we have just 2 small tricks to make the lookup on a form a little ‘neater’ as well as save the user time and improve data quality.